This voice course will cover songs from the Cretan repertoire. We will focus on vocal ornaments that characterize the Cretan style of singing, and specific details that further distinguish song types. This course will include traditional songs as well as new compositions of various artists that have left their impact on Cretan music. We will focus on the aesthetics that characterize these songs and ensure their longevity.
This course is for students who are fairly comfortable with their vocal capacities, and have some familiarity with Greek singing. By the end of this course, students will be able to recognize different styles of Cretan songs, appreciate their unique characteristics, and possess the understanding of mechanics and nuances to widen their knowledge within the Cretan repertoire and beyond.
Repertoire will include pieces dating back to the first available recordings, as well as new compositions from the 20th and 21st centuries.
1. “Erotokritos” (unknown composer)
2. “Erotokritos” (Ross Daly)
3. “Adika pan i kopi mou” (K.Moudakis)
4. “Oso varoun ta sidera” (S. Foustalieris)
5. “To meraklidiko pouli” (Moudakis version)
6. “Iha mia agapi mia fora” (D. Apostolakis)
7. “Poylaki mou” (P. Perysinakis)
8. “Ouli mou lene giada kles” (Th. Skordalos)
9. “Aide matzourana mou” (S.Foustalieris)
10. “Se psilo vouno” (unknown composer)
TIME CHANGES: This course's schedule includes a transition to/from Daylight Saving Time (aka Summer Time), which may mean that the class times will vary for you. Please set your time zone, and check the schedule on the course page carefully, so you don't miss anything.