This course will focus on compositions for lyra as well as exercises for bow, intonation, precision, trills and ornamentation.
Instructor Kelly Thoma will demonstrate and analyze how these compositions are interpreted on lyra – specifically that with sympathetic strings – in terms of style, technique, ornamentation, variations and approach. The repertoire will focus on contemporary compositions written for lyra in the past 40 years, with influences from various modal traditions as well as some older and traditional compositions that demonstrate the range of possibilities on the instrument.
This course is for lyra players as well as students who play other bowed instruments, as long as they are fairly comfortable on their instruments. Students will be expected to learn about one piece per each three hour class. Learning will be done primarily by ear and through imitation, however scores will be used for select compositions.
We'll cover the following repertoire:
1. Kavos Sidero (Stelios Petrakis)
2. Stankina (trad. Macedonian) 11/8
3. Osogovka (trad. Macedonian) 11/8
4. Kotikos Isos Choros (trad. from Kos island, Greece)
5. Bir Sevda Geldi Başıma (Hicaz Köçekçe, trad. Turkish) 9/8
6. Azeri (Kelly Thoma)
7. Kallergianos (trad. Cretan)
8. Ksenitemeno mou pouli (trad. Cretan)
9. Çeçen Kızı (Hüseyni Oyun Havası,Tanburi Cemil Bey version)
10.Karsilamas (Ross Daly) 9/8
11.Isios Choros (Ross Daly)